Reception is open from 7am until 8pm.
DEPARTURE / CHECK-IN
Check-out time is between 7am and 10am. If you wish to leave earlier than 7am, please settle your account the night prior to departure, lock your room on departure and leave the key in the dropbox beside the entrance to the cafe. If you wish to leave later than 10am, you must make prior arrangements with reception in order to avoid additional charges.
EMERGENCY / AFTER HOURS SECURITY / URGENT ASSISTANCE
In an emergency dial 111. For security related issues or noise complaints outside of these hours, please contact Security on 07 834 0073, quote customer number 5005007.
BREAKFAST / LUNCH / ROOM SERVICE / WINE & BEER / COFFEE
Enjoy our onsite café, “Café Awa” which is a favourite with the locals. Whether you desire a delicious breakfast or a Mojo coffee - start your day with us! Breakfast is available from 7.00am daily or can be delivered to your room at no extra charge. If you are running to a tight time schedule in the morning, pre-order breakfast the evening before (choose either room service or dine in our café). Breakfast menus can be collected from reception and just drop your completed order form into reception prior to 7.00pm. Should you require lunch, our chefs can either prepare your selection from our seasonal menu, or you may choose something from our healthy, freshly prepared cabinet. Food “To Go” and packed lunches can also be arranged.
Our café is licensed, so you can enjoy a New Zealand beer or boutique wine with lunch, or if you would like to wind down at the end of your day, we have a range of beverages that are available to take back to your room. A member of reception team will be happy to assist you.
Our Gift Centre offers a range of souvenirs and gifts. Our gift shop is open daily from 7am to 8pm.
Free Wi-Fi is available by joining the network called "Awa Motel HOTSPOT". On joining the network your device should automatically be directed to a login page, if a login page does not open please use your web browser to open the site www.hello.wifi after joining the network. Login details are:
- User: awa
- Pass: motel
We offer SKY Guest Select in all rooms. This provides a selection of over 50 channels, including sports and movies. The SKY Remote also controls functions, such as turning the TV on/off and volume. Rooms with a second TV in the bedroom offer Freeview.
SERVICING OF YOUR ROOM
If you would like your room serviced early in the day, or not at all, please contact reception.
We can deliver a ‘New Zealand Herald’ to your front door every morning between 7am and 7:30am. The cost is $3.70 per paper and will be added to your room account. To order a paper please contact reception before 8pm to arrange for a paper to be delivered the following morning.
You are supplied with one small bottle of fresh milk (for tea and coffee) on arrival, and after that, one complimentary bottle per night. The milk is placed in your fridge during the servicing of your room. If you require extra milk there will be a small charge.
LOCAL ATTRACTIONS AND ACTIVITIES
For information on what to do and see in the fabulous Eastern Bay of Plenty, as well as Rotorua and Tauranga, pop down and visit our reception team. A selection of activity brochures are available at reception.
MAPS / WALKS AROUND WHAKATĀNE / i-SITE
The Whakatāne District is renowned for its superb walking tracks that include stunning ocean vistas and ancient native forests. Detailed walking maps and brochures are
available at reception, or at our local i-SITE which is located overlooking the river on Quay Street (opposite ‘The Bean’ café).
EXTRA ITEMS AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
- Electric Frying Pans
- Port-a-Cot hire ($25 per stay)
- Extra Sheets & Blankets
If your room has a spa bath, you will find the switch for the spa on the right hand side as you enter the ensuite. It is located between the two power points. This switch will need to be ON if you wish to use the spa bath. Please also note that the silver button on the side of the spa bath needs to be pressed down to activate the jets.
PHOTOCOPYING / MAIL / MESSAGES
Photocopying services are available at reception; the cost is 20c per page. If you have a large amount of photocopying, we can recommend a local business that can assist.
Mail that requires posting may be given to reception, who will organise for it to be taken to the post office. We also sell a range of postcards and stamps. You will be advised if you receive any messages or parcels during your stay.
STORAGE / VALUABLES / LOST PROPERTY
Short term baggage storage is available at reception. If required, we are also able to provide secure storage of your valuables in our management offices.
Should you leave anything of significant value in your room, we will contact you as soon as possible. In the event that you would like the item forwarded to you, we are happy to organise this at your expense; a minimum charge of $5.00 will apply. Lost and unclaimed property is kept for three months before being donated to charity.
PERSONAL ITEMS FOR SALE AT RECEPTION / BOOK EXCHANGE
For your convenience, we have a number of items available for sale at reception including: toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs, razors, tampons, and matches. We also have a book exchange, so if you have an old book that you would like to swap, please check out our selection in the Guest Laundry.
LAUNDRY / DRYCLEANING
Complimentary self-service laundry facilities are available from 7am to 8pm. The laundry is located at the top of the stairwell behind reception. A drying rack is available on request. Same day dry cleaning and laundry services are also available (weekdays only); charges apply per item or per bag of laundry. Items for external laundry services must be delivered to reception by 8am.
The outdoor barbeque facilities are available free of charge for use by all guests. There are cooking utensils and cleaning products in a cupboard by the barbeques; in consideration of other guests please clean the barbeque when you have finished. If you are cooking seafood, we can provide you with a tray to cook on.
Being close to bush areas and on sandy soils, ants are a fact of life. Where possible, we recommend all food items be sealed. Extra containers are available at reception.
Micro-village, Villa and Bungalow guests have allocated parking. Guests in the remaining Motel units may park where convenient and available. For safety, we ask that you please keep all entrances and exits clear. All gates will be closed at 9pm each night and unlocked at approximately 7am.
Please be aware that if a fire alarm is set off due to guest negligence, the guest will be required to pay for the cost of the call out with charges in the vicinity of $1,000. The cost may be automatically charged to your credit card.
LOSS OR DAMAGE TO ROOMS AND PROPERTY
Guests will be asked to pay for any unaccounted items from their room, or soiling of, or damage to, motel property. Costs may be automatically charged to your credit card.
Please be aware that if you fail to return your room key, you will be liable. The cost of the key (and tag) is NZ$50.00. If the key is not returned, the costs will be automatically charged to your credit card.
NOISE AND SMOKING
We endeavour to maintain a quiet and peaceful smoke-free environment for guests. We ask that there is no excessive noise from your unit, and no noise after 10pm. Visitors are required to leave guests units and the motel complex before 10pm. Please note that if security is called to attend to noise from your unit, you will be charged a fee of $150 per incident. Guests causing a disturbance will be required to vacate the premises.
Smoking is not permitted inside the units, please use the ashtrays provided outside. Any loss of unit availability resulting from smoking inside the unit, and cleaning costs will be charged to your credit card.
AIRPORT / TAXIS
Whakatāne Airport is approximately 15 minutes drive from Awa Motel. Check-in time for flights is 30 minutes prior to departure. Taxi transfers are available through JNP Transport 0800 872 555.
BANKS / CURRENCY EXCHANGE
All banks and cash machines are located on ‘The Strand’. Opening hours for banks are typically 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. Banks may also provide a range of currency exchange services.
SHOPPING / SUPERMARKETS
Most of Whakatāne’s shops are located on The Strand; only a few minutes walk from Awa Motel. There are two other shopping areas - Kopeopeo and The Hub. The closest supermarket is New World Whakatāne. This is located on Kakahoroa Drive between The Strand and the Whakatāne River. Reception also sells a small range of necessity items for your convenience.
HOST RESPONSIBILITY POLICY
Awa Motel wishes to ensure that all customers enjoying our licensed facilities are served in a friendly, responsible and professional manner that encourages responsible drinking practices.
For your safety and enjoyment:
- Food is available between 7am and 8pm.
- We offer non-alcoholic drinks, including a range of fruit juices, soft drinks, iced water, and hot beverages.
- Please avoid the risks of drinking and driving - we are happy to call a friend or taxi for you.
- Intoxicated patrons will not be served on these premises.
- Those under 18 years of age will not be served alcoholic beverages.
Whakatāne has a good range of restaurants, some within 5 minutes walking distance of the motel. We’ve included a selection below, and encourage you to check the res-taurant’s website for up to-date pricing and menu options. Some restaurants provide charge back arrangements (denoted with an *); please note that a service fee will be incurred. Click on the restaurant name to visit their website.
- *ROQUETTE Fine dining in a contemporary yet intimate environment. 23/29 Quay Street (approximately 4 minute walk)
- *THE COMM The home of Good George Brewing in Whakatane. We bring great Beer, Cider, awesome food and great times to the Sunshine Capital of New Zealand. 45 The Strand (approximately 3 minute walk)
- *SPICE JUNCTION Nested in the heart of the Strand Whakatane, Spice Junction is your special place for exquisite traditional Indian dining. 75 The Strand (approximately 5 minute walk)
- *LITTLE HAVANA A new, progressive, innovative 'pop up' style bar & dining experience ideally located in the city centre, with both indoor & outdoor dining. 62 The Strand (approximately 5 minute walk)
- *DOUBLE ZEROAn Italian cucina, with traditional Italian pasta and pizza options. Striving to bring you the ultimate dinner experience! 108 The Strand (approximately 6 minute walk)
- *GLOBAL THAI Global Thai employs both Thai and European chefs to cater for the needs of any dinner party. Global Thai is the only Thai restaurant in the Whakatane township. 2A Commerce Street (approximately 9 minute walk)
- THE WAGON Serving real good burgers using real good meat & veggies. Nothing is processed. 128 The Strand (approximately 7 minute walk)
- DETOUR BAR & LOUNGE Fully licensed Family Restaurant & Function Room located in the heart of Whakatane NZ serving wholesome meals. 84 The Strand, Whakatane (approximately 6 minute walk)
- CIGOL created a modern fusion menu that invokes the flavours of Korean-based cuisine with a Pacific twist. 14 Richardson Street (approximately 13 minute walk)
SLIGHTLY FURTHER AFIELD....
- MATA BREWERY Enjoy some delicious food with Mata’s finest award winning craft beers. Try a tasting tray or take home some freshly poured beer in riggers or bottles. 17 Gateway Crescent (approximately 8 minute drive)
- THE SMOKIN' GOOSE A restaurant and beer garden located 10 minutes outside of Whakatane, serving barbecue meats with our own kiwi twist. 1A Luxton Road, Awakeri (approximately 10 minute drive)
- FISHERMAN'S WHARF CAFE The stylish and relaxed dining room is the perfect spot to enjoy a sumptuous meal while watching the sun go down on Ōhiwa Harbour. 340 Harbour Road, Ōhope (approximately 16 minute drive)
GUEST PARTICIPATION - HELP US, HELP THE ENVIRONMENT!
Awa Motel is Qualmark accredited and undertakes a range of sustainability initiatives in energy, water, and waste management.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Recycle: You can recycle by placing items on the kitchen bench for collection.
- Filling kettles: Only fill with as much water as is required each time.
- Microwaves: Turn off microwaves at the wall when not in use.
- Lights, air conditioners and heaters: Turn off when not in your room. Keep windows and doors closed in cold weather toconserve heat.
- Reduce laundry: You have the option of hanging your towels on the rail for re-use, rather than being laundered daily. Bed linen isreplaced every three days, but you can request less frequent changing, thereby saving water and energy.
- Drying racks: Instead of using our gas fired dryer in the laundry, request a drying rack.
- Wash full loads in cold water: If using our washing machines, wait till you have full loads. Set to “colours” for a cold wash, anduse the water level indicator if it is available.
- Report leaks or faults: We have a leak detection and maintenance programme in place, so if you spot any, please let us knowimmediately.
- Complete the Sustainability Section in our Guest Survey: We welcome any suggestions on how we can reduce ourenvironmental impact.